History

The area around Forestburg was originally home to Cree and Blackfoot tribes.  Anthony Henday camped just west of what is now Forestburg on his exploration of the Prairies in 1754.  However, by the late 1800’s exposure to smallpox and over hunting of the buffalo took its toll on the native population.  One homesteader recollected that by the time land was surveyed in 1900, the aboriginals had all but disappeared from the region.

Homesteaders of Scandinavian, British, and German descent began settling the rich farmland of the area in 1905.  In 1915, with the coming of the Canadian National Railway, a town grew up which was primarily the agricultural service centre for the surrounding farms.  In August 1919, Forestburg was incorporated as a Village.

Coal mining has been part of the area almost as long as agriculture, as enterprising homesteaders opened the first of many small underground “gopher hole” mines in the banks of the Battle River in 1907.  With the advent of strip mining operations in 1949, Forestburg became home for many of the employees of the coal mines and the associated power generation station.  Today agriculture, coal mining, and power generation form the basis of the economy, along with increasing oil and gas activity and related manufacturing and services businesses.

To learn more about Forestburg’s history, visit:

Forestburg & District Museum, 4707 – 50 Street.  Please call 780-582-3790 to obtain museum hours of operation or to make arrangements for a tour if the museum is not open.

Diplomat Mine Interpretive Site, 8 km west and 8 km south of Forestburg on Highway 855.  See the Marion 360 stripping shovel, the star attraction in Canada’s only museum devoted to surface coal mining.

Content

April Council Meeting Schedule: April 8 and April 22, 2021 in the Professional Building. (5004 49 Ave)
Find us on Facebook

Municipal Election October 18, 2021 - Candidate Package

In response to recent decisions of the provincial government to move back to Phase 1 of COVID-19 pandemic measures,
the Village has and will continue to consider measures to help our business community through this recent setback.

Effective today, our local restaurants without outdoor patio service are being given the ability to commence outdoor dining, compliant with provincial health orders, on public sidewalks in front of their businesses. 
This decision will mean that temporary parking restrictions during normal business hours will occur by having angle parking spaces blocked off in front of our restaurants who choose to implement outdoor service. 
In such cases parking restrictions will continue to allow for safe and socially distanced pedestrian traffic to continue, as well as ensuring safety for patrons utilizing outdoor dining service.  The Village is working with other restaurants and establishments not along 50th Street who may also wish to offer outdoor service in a manner consistent with provincial health and liquor service requirements.

The Village thanks all downtown businesses for their support of our local restaurants and the temporary parking restrictions. 

The Village will continue to explore all opportunities in support of businesses in our community as
we navigate the uncertain times ahead. 

We appreciate your ongoing support and the true sense of community being demonstrated by all. 
Thank you!